In this section you can find the bottom-up and top-down projects promoted by the AISU
A Genealogy of Urban Design – A GUDesign Network
1st Seminar “At the roots of urban design. National “schools” and prominent figures. An international perspective”
The medieval city, the city of the friars
Winning project 2018 AISU Networking Call for Proposal (30 June 2018)
The research project The medieval city, the city of the friars, was born within the AISU as a bottom up activity proposed by the members, Silvia Beltramo and Gianmario Guidarelli, funded by the 2018 AISU Networking Call for Proposal and the Medieval Heritage Platform project (Politecnico di Torino DIST).
The project was conceived to resume studies on the relationship between convents of mendicant orders (especially preachers and minors) and cities in the Italian and European context in medieval and modern period. In the European city of the thirteenth century, the settlement of the convent communities of the mendicant Orders provokes a revolution from the social and urban point of view. The development of the city, in fact, will be profoundly influenced by the foundation of convents in the outlying areas where the future development of the new villages is born. The crown of convents around the city center constitutes a network of urban nodes for the expansion routes, but also a place for exchanging ideas and people.
One of the goals of the project is to create a network of scholars and experts from different disciplines on themes related to the medieval-modern city and to the conventual settlements in order to create opportunities for meeting and sharing common studies and research also in the European context. Furthermore, the project wants to contribute to innovate the methodology of research, through the integration of traditional documentary and material analysis with stratigraphic analysis and digital history method.
Scientific Committee of the project
– Silvia Beltramo, Politecnico di Torino
– Gianmario Guidarelli, Università degli studi di Padova
– Catarina Almeida Marado, Universidade de Coimbra
– Luciano Bertazzo ofmconv, Facoltà Teologica del Triveneto, Centro Studi Antoniani
– Caroline Bruzelius, Duke University
– Emanuela Garofalo, Università degli studi di Palermo
– Massimo Mancini op, Facoltà Teologica del Triveneto, Facoltà Teologica dell’Emilia-Romagna
– Federico Marazzi, Università degli studi Suor Orsola Benincasa
– Grado Giovanni Merlo, Università degli studi di Milano
– Carlo Tosco, Politecnico di Torino
– Manuel Vaquero Piñeiro, Università degli studi di Perugia
– Catarina Villamariz, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
– Stefano Zaggia, Università degli studi di Padova