The State of Urban History: Past, Present, Future
University of Leicester, 11-13 July 2023
In celebration of its 50th anniversary, the Urban History journal invites proposals for panels at a conference on the State of Urban History: Past, Present, Future.
The goal of this conference is to take stock of urban history as a discipline and consider its future goals and impact on the production of historical knowledge. Preference will be given to panels that engage innovative approaches and critical reflections on the field of urban history, including:
• Conceptual groundwork of urban history, big questions old and new
• Methodologies and sources in urban history
• The writing of urban history and for whom
• Urban history’s relationships with other disciplines
• New formats of urban historical scholarship (beyond books and articles)
• The role of academic journals
• Transnational and global urban history
• Heritage, emotions, memory, and urban history
• Race and gender in urban history
• Historians’ contributions to 21st-century urban challenges
We seek submissions in a variety of formats, from traditional panels to roundtables, workshops, brainstorming sessions, film and digital presentations. Submissions may address innovative approaches to urban history across geography and time periods.
The conference committee welcomes submissions that include scholars at all career levels, including graduate students, and that address diversity.
We encourage submissions for complete sessions. Traditional-style panels normally comprise three speakers plus a chair. The composition of other session formats may vary.
Deadline for Submission: June 30, 2022
Notification of Acceptance: August 31, 2022
Submit proposals and inquiries to email@example.com